Thursday, March 31, 2016

Resumé Writing: Part 2- Human Interfacing

Imagine my horror discovering that the first person to view my carefully crafted resumé was not a person.

Once I got over the shock, it began to make sense. In the modern times of metadata, it makes sense that employers would get their computers doing the "weeding out" before human eyes ever perceive the objects of so much sweat, tears and effort. I started to research this after the first reject letters rolled in. My "one resumé fits all" approach was not working.

My first discovery was that it's not enough to have a historical document that highlights my career to date. A CV/resumé is all about:
  • highlighting my achievements
  • drawing attention to my competencies
  • convincing the prospective employer that I have the experience and expertise and personal qualities required to step into the role.
I also discovered that the modern job-seeking market is all about networking. We will discuss that later. 

The best advice I can give you is to do some research. I have included some links that may help you in your search.

Links on resumé writing

IT Resumé writing (just as applicable to other jobs)
I've probably raised more questions than given answers. But follow these links and I'll post more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multiple Intelligences by Jacqui Sharp